Today we are excited to release our second module for FileMaker developers: fmRecentRecords. It’s an easy-to-deploy module for FileMaker that gives you a simple way to add a history to the dashboard or menu screen that your users will appreciate. The idea behind it is to make it trivial for a user to get back to what they were working on from the home screen by presenting a list of the records they recently viewed. The assumption here is that your user is probably going to be visiting a small set of records on a regular basis — at least in the short term. Automatically keeping those records at the user’s fingertips saves them the trouble of searching for the same record multiple times a day.
The nuts and bolts of this module involve storing information in a separate table each time a user visits a record, notating the primary key, the table name, and some descriptive info (using an OnRecordLoad trigger). On the dashboard is a portal that displays the list of records that have been visited, with the most-recently visited record at the top. When a user clicks on an item, a script navigates to the appropriate record and layout using this stored info. As they begin visiting the record less frequently, it falls lower in the list, and the most recently visited records show up at the top.
- Saves time for your users, and instantly adds value to your solution
- Requires minimal changes to your database
- Track records in any number of tables
- Can be deployed within minutes
- Will run using Perform Script on Server when the file is hosted, or automatically on the client machine when not hosted
- FileMaker native functionality
Free download: Download fmRecentRecords