Transcription

Hello, this is Matt at AppWorks and this is part 2 of the video series of how containers work and this part will take a look at secure storage of images in external containers.

In the first part, we worked on the sample database that I created from free images from unsplash.com, a good source of free image content. I  have my image field, which is set to open storage, and the structure on the server – here’s the server here – creates a folder called Image test, and here is one folder for each image, basically each record in the database and the image record. If I had multiple fields in this table that each contained a container, then each would be in the folder.

If I want to move this to secure storage, how does that work? I’ll simply switch to secure storage – not with secure we don’t choose the path. I’ll click ok. FileMaker asks me to confirm my transfer, I accept it. The first step is it adds up the space and makes sure it has enough space on the server to do what you’re asking, then it actually moves images over. That happens on the server, so this is 100s of MBs of images. This is way faster than would be possible on my computer – it’s nice to have a server process.

Once the container’s done, we can take a look at what’s going on on the server. What it did is in my image test folder, it makes a folder called secure. This is the folder that used to have one folder for every single ID. The secure folder, it makes a small set of subfolders, 212, rather than the total number of records in my database. In each one of these is a file that you cannot open. You can’t virus scan it, open it, or view it. It is an encrypted file that contains image data for some record in your database. You can’t tell which record – you can back this data up, it’s kind of a standard structure of your data. You can’t interact with it in any meaningful way on the server. It’s securely stored, which is good, that means it’s protected from people who have access to the server so that they can’t actually do stuff with the data.

Then I got my confirmation. Other than that, secure storage or open storage works pretty much the same for the user – they can just flip through records. There’s really no speed difference that I’ve been able to see, it’s just that it stores it differently structured on the server. That’s it for this video, thanks for your time.