Transcription

Hi this is Paul from AppWorks and I’m going to give you a quick rundown on how to send an email through FileMaker. This is pretty simple and it has been for a while. It really only requires one script step and a little bit of input. You can get more fancy with it if you want. 

What I’ve done here is I’ve taken the Contact Start Solution that FileMaker comes with, and added on a new table for emails that have been sent. I’ve made the script that, when you push this here, it’ll take the contact and the email address, and create a new email record, which you can see here. It’s attached to that particular contact, so you’ll always have a record of what emails have been sent to them. As you can see here, it’s just a very basic 1:1 relationship between contacts and mail where its contact ID to primary key. 

Now, what I’ve done is added in all the basic fields you’d have in email  – you’d have who it’s to, who it’s from, CC/BCC, subject and body. I’m just going to fill these in, and then I’ve made a script called Send Email, which is just the Send Mail script step. That’s it.

You have two options when doing this, which is email client or SMTP server. We’ll do email client first, because it’s the most basic, most easy. I’ve set all of these fields, which you can type into directly if you only want the script to only do one result, or in this case I have them populating from the mail table. You can select which field you want it to populate from. So, when we push Send Mail, it’ll run that script and you’ll see it just brings up, in this case, a new email in the mail app on a Mac. If you’re on Windows it’ll bring up your default application, such as Outlook. All this information has been filled in, but you can change it if you want anything before sending it. It doesn’t get reflected in the database, so you’ll have to warn users about that, but it lets you review before sending.

If you want to send directly through an SMTP server, say, using an email account that isn’t on this person’s computer, not setup in their mail, or for whatever reason. You can do that using the same script step – you just switch this to SMTP server and you fill in all this basic information – name, who it’s from, the email address that it’s being sent from, reply to address if you want it to be different from the sending address. This is the important part – SMTP – you need a server a port and a type of security. Most email providers are going to have a page – something like this – that tells you exactly what you need to do to send using the SMTP server. 

In this case, I’m using a Google account, so you have the smtp@gmail. If you’re using SSL or TSL, it’s almost always these ports for sending with that kind of security, but tis good to check your email provider in case it’s different. I’ve filled this in – nice thing about FileMaker is if you switch it, it’ll automatically change the port to what it expects it to be, which it almost always is. Password is your plain password, but it’s good to check. I’ve entered my information here. Ok, now just save that, and if we send it this way, it will send and we won’t even get a notification as long as it sends without any errors. Of course, if you want, you can put on error capture in case you do get an error and you don’t want the user to see it. If you want to get really fancy, you can set up a user table where you put each user’s email address and email password where you can have this script come and check to see if that user has an account, and what to use. You can even put in the SMTP information in here – it all depends on how much info you want in your script.

If you are using a Google account, go to the security section and check this option here – less secure access. Turn that on, or else Google will not allow you to send using FileMaker. That’s the basics of how to send an email from FileMaker. I hope that’s been helpful, and I will see you all next time.